Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Death

Browsing through Peter Kua's blog, among many insightful articles, there is one series of How not to fear death, invoked some thinking, blogging down before I forget.

I admit I fear death, a lot, ever since I was very young. There are many claims that one can stop fearing death, but no matter how the claim sounds, I doubt it. Deep down, do you not fear death?

Fear is a natural builtin mechanism of life. Without fear, one probably will commit much more dangerous actions and by statistics, life probably will be much shorter and the entire life may have gone extinct by now. After all, every mechanism in life is to survive. Every bit inside a life works to avoid death, so how can any life not fear death?

On death, I don't have an answer yet. I think we are meant to fear death. Death is one thing that hardly have any positive aspects of it and we have to accept.

So the trick to death is not to think about it. Logically there is nothing to think about: death is certain, no way avoid it; death is meaningless, and death is always in the far future. In reality, few people seems ever worry about death. In deed, we all have this natural tendency of avoid un-joyful thoughts. Thinking about death is the ultimate unhappy and boring thought, so I believe as long as we just relax, we will not worry about it.

In deed, on reflection, I worry about death most often when I was very young, when I hardly started life. Nowadays, I have so many things to think about, there is hardly spare time for death thoughts anymore. Do you notice time flies by faster as we grow older. I guess when we get even older, and as our experience even grows, we would have so many thoughts going around our mind all the time, there would not be one bit of space for death thought, even the death is tomorrow. Well, may be when death gets closer, we would more worry about other things that we wants to do and time would get even squeezed and simply there will be no space death worrying thoughts.

So if you find yourself worrying about death, you need dig in your mind on what you really like to do and do it. Anything in life will surely beats death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home