Friday, August 11, 2006

Reasons of Quitting

I left a comment on Cathy's blog Works in Progress, a comment that I am not sure is an encouragement or an encouragement of quitting. :(

I myself is a fairly quick quitter.

I like start learning, praciticing, and training on many new fields. The start of one field is the most joyful experience. One learns new tricks, find new abilities, and can talk for hours in front of friends about the experience and find admiring expression over their faces, ..., very joyful.

Well, for most activities, the training will soon goes to a difficult plateau when little progress can be made and all the better experts in front of you. Then it is time for quitting.

I usually keeps a while at that plateau, just for the purpose of filling my imagination that what will be if I ever become the expert. The vividness of that imagination tells me whether I will receiving enough rewards in continuing the training.

And then there are activities that is not about being the expert. I still likes playing chess very much, and I like to watch games played by experts, although now it never occurs to me that I ever want to become an expert. By start the training then quit at the plateau, one can ejoy the very special initial joy with little effort, and then can enjoy the regular joy in just playing it, and most of all, watching other experts playing become much more enjoyable than before.

But nevertheless, quitting makes a loser. For me, as long as I keeps one goal and never quit, I feel peace at quitting all other goals. By try and quit, one can find that particular goal that will be most enjoyable. That is the one you have aptitude with. :)

PS: Quiting one training still accumulates experience toward other actitivities. The training in programing C helps my programing in Matlab -- an easy to understand one, how about this -- the training in physics helps my programing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home